Written by Mary Johnson
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of essential wardrobe pieces that won’t go out of fashion. They can be supplemented with seasonal items but should be of a good enough quality that they’ll last you for quite some time. Having the right staples in your closet is the key to creating a timeless style.
10 Timeless Fashion Items Every Woman Should Own
- White Button-Down Shirt. A white button-down can be paired with pants, jeans or a skirt for a look that can be either casual or dressed up. Wear it to work, out to dinner or while running errands and you’ll always look on point.
- Little Black Dress. No matter your age, a little black dress is a staple. A classic sheath style that’s about knee length is your best bet. You’ll find yourself pulling it out for meetings, interviews, fancy dinner dates and more.
- Cardigan. When the weather turns chilly, a cardigan is a nice piece to have. Choose a neutral color so you can pair it with plenty of other items in your closet. You might want a heavy cardigan for wearing outdoors and a lighter one for the office or at home.
- Black Pumps. No capsule wardrobe is complete without a sleek pair of black pumps. They can be worn with pants to the office or with jeans for a casual Friday. You can also pair black pumps with a dress or skirt – there’s really nothing they won’t go with. This is one of those items worth investing in, for example online retailers like Luisaviaroma have tons of high-end options, even the beautiful shoes by Casadei.
- Ballerina Flats. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on flats and you might want to keep a couple of pairs in your capsule wardrobe. You can pair flats with tights and a dress or wear them with skinny jeans and a sweater or graphic t-shirt.
- Dark Jeans. Not only are dark jeans slimming, but they’re more appropriate than your standard blue jeans for many events. Dark wash jeans are ideal for pairing with heels and a blouse for work or with a t-shirt and trainers for a day of shopping.
- Blazer. There are many styles and colors to choose from when it comes to blazers, so you should have no trouble finding the one that’s best for your body shape and personal style. A classic black blazer will serve you well for many years including on job interviews, meetings at work, dinner with friends or just to wear as a fun addition to a skirt and boots.
- Trench Coat. A timeless tan or black trench coat will keep you warm on rainy or windy days. It pairs perfectly with pants, jeans, and dresses so you’ll be able to wear it all the time.
- Leather Jacket. Harness your inner bad girl with a leather jacket. You can wear it with your work pants for an edgy look or pair it with a t-shirt and combat boots for a fun look that’s easy to pull off. Black is the best color choice.
- Classic Pea Coat. A classic pea coat is necessary for cold weather and is so easy to pair with your work wardrobe or dressed down for a weekend.
Pulling together a capsule wardrobe is all about finding the right classic pieces. Make sure to choose items for your body type and fit you well and you’ll always look your best.
A big thank you to Mary for putting together this post for me. I’m currently in Jamaica with Sandals Resorts! If you’d like to follow along on my adventure, I’ll be posting photos and videos to my Instastories.